Skip to content

San Diego Mosque Shooting Leaves Three Dead As Police Investigate Possible Hate Crime

San Diego Mosque Shooting Leaves Three Dead as Police Investigate Possible Hate Crime

San Diego, California — A shooting at an Islamic center in San Diego has left three adults dead and prompted authorities to investigate the attack as a possible hate crime, officials said Sunday. Two teenage suspects were also found dead at the scene, with investigators believing their wounds were self-inflicted after the attack.

The violence unfolded at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the city’s Clairemont neighborhood, a largely residential area that was quickly sealed off by police and emergency responders. The mosque complex also includes a school for young children, but officials said all students, teachers and staff were safe and had been evacuated without injury.

Law enforcement officials said the shooting appeared to target worshippers at the center, raising alarm across the city and reigniting national concerns about hate-fueled violence and the security of houses of worship. While investigators have not yet publicly identified a motive, the early evidence led police to treat the case as a hate crime.

Police: Three adult men killed, two teenage suspects dead

In a press briefing, police confirmed that the dead included three adult men and two teenage suspects, described as 17 and 19 years old. Authorities said the two suspects were believed to have died from gunshot wounds they inflicted on themselves after the shooting. Several other people were injured and taken to hospitals, though police had not immediately released a precise count of the wounded.

Emergency crews rushed to the Islamic center after reports of gunfire inside the complex. Officers evacuated worshippers and staff as they secured the area and searched for additional threats. Nearby roads were closed for hours while investigators collected evidence and interviewed witnesses.

Officials said some of the injured were transported to Sharp Memorial Medical Center. Their conditions were not immediately known. Authorities emphasized that the children’s school at the mosque, which serves students from pre-kindergarten through third grade, had been cleared and that no students were harmed.

A place of worship shaken by violence

The Islamic Center of San Diego has long served as a gathering place for the local Muslim community, hosting prayers, education programs and family events. The attack sent shockwaves through worshippers and residents alike, many of whom arrived to find streets blocked by police tape and emergency vehicles surrounding the property.

Community leaders expressed grief and outrage at the violence, calling for calm as investigators worked to establish exactly what happened. For many Muslims in the United States, attacks on mosques carry painful echoes of prior episodes of anti-Muslim hate, and Sunday’s shooting immediately revived fears of targeted extremism.

San Diego police have not yet disclosed whether the suspects had any known connection to the mosque or the victims. Authorities also have not released information on how the suspects obtained the weapon used in the attack, nor have they confirmed whether the shooting was planned in advance.

Investigation focuses on hate crime motive

The case is being handled by local investigators with support from federal authorities as they examine the possibility that the attack was motivated by anti-Muslim hatred. Hate crime investigations often involve reviewing social media activity, personal writings, digital communications and prior contact with extremist material. Officials said they were examining all available evidence.

The shooting has also prompted renewed debate over gun violence in the United States, especially the frequency with which firearms are used in attacks on schools, churches, synagogues and mosques. Advocacy groups and community organizations are expected to use the San Diego attack to renew calls for stronger security measures at religious sites and more robust intervention against radicalization and hate speech.

California leaders and local officials are expected to respond further as more details emerge. Police urged the public to avoid speculation and allow investigators to complete their work, while promising regular updates as the situation develops.

Fear, grief and unanswered questions

In the hours after the shooting, the scene at the mosque was one of confusion and heartbreak. Families searched for relatives, worshippers gathered to comfort one another and neighbors watched as officers moved carefully through the property. The fact that a school was operating on the same campus deepened concern, though officials repeatedly stressed that children and staff were unharmed.

Even as authorities say they are treating the case as a hate crime, many questions remain unanswered, including the identity of the victims, the relationship between the suspects and the center, and whether warning signs were missed. Investigators are expected to piece together the timeline from surveillance footage, witness accounts and forensic evidence.

For San Diego’s Muslim community, the shooting is likely to leave a lasting scar. Places of worship are meant to provide refuge, and the attack has underscored how quickly such sanctuaries can become crime scenes. As mourners begin to grieve the dead and the injured recover, the city now faces the difficult task of understanding how the violence happened — and how to prevent another tragedy.

Authorities said the investigation remains active. More information is expected once victims’ families are notified and detectives complete their initial review of the scene.

Table of Contents