U.S. Unseals Indictment Charging Raúl Castro in 1996 Plane Shootdown
Miami — The U.S. Department of Justice has unsealed a superseding indictment charging former Cuban President Raúl Castro with murder, conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals and destruction of aircraft over the 1996 shootdown of two civilian planes flown by the exile group Brothers to the Rescue.
The case, announced Wednesday by federal officials, marks a dramatic legal move more than three decades after the attack that killed four people and became one of the most fraught episodes in modern U.S.-Cuba relations. Prosecutors say the indictment also names five other officials connected to the Cuban government’s military and intelligence apparatus at the time.
According to the Justice Department, the charges stem from a February 1996 incident in which Cuban MiG fighter jets shot down two Cessna aircraft in international airspace north of Cuba. The planes were operated by Brothers to the Rescue, a Miami-based organization that had gained prominence for searching for Cuban migrants drifting at sea on rafts and for sending flights over the Florida Straits to monitor migrant crossings.
All four people aboard the aircraft were killed. The incident drew international condemnation at the time and sharply escalated tensions between Washington and Havana. Cuban authorities argued that the planes had violated Cuban airspace, while U.S. officials and exile groups said the aircraft were downed beyond Cuba’s territorial limits.
In a statement accompanying the indictment, Attorney General Todd Blanche said the charges reflect a long-running Justice Department effort to hold accountable those responsible for what prosecutors describe as a deliberate killing of civilians. Federal officials said the case was built on earlier investigations and evidence accumulated over many years, including historical assessments that linked the decision-making chain to Cuba’s top leadership.
Raúl Castro, 94, served as Cuba’s president from 2008 to 2018 after decades in the country’s military and Communist Party hierarchy. He is the younger brother of Fidel Castro and was widely viewed as a central figure in Cuba’s ruling structure for much of the second half of the 20th century. The indictment alleges that he played a role in authorizing or directing the operation that led to the aircraft being shot down.
Because Castro is not in U.S. custody, the case is largely symbolic unless he travels to a jurisdiction where U.S. authorities can pursue arrest. Still, federal prosecutors said the indictment carries significant legal and political weight, especially for families of the victims and for Cuban Americans who have long pressed for accountability.
The four men killed in the attack were members of the Brothers to the Rescue mission, which was founded by Cuban exiles in South Florida. The group originally focused on air and sea patrols to locate and assist migrants fleeing Cuba, but its activities later became a point of deep contention with the Cuban government. The shootdown shocked the exile community and hardened opposition to Havana among many Cuban Americans in Florida.
The indictment comes amid renewed scrutiny of Cuba policy in Washington and a broader debate over how to confront the island’s government. Republican lawmakers in Florida, including Sen. Rick Scott, had recently urged the Justice Department to take action against Castro, arguing that justice had been delayed for too long.
Officials did not say whether the timing of the indictment was tied to a larger policy shift, but the announcement immediately reignited longstanding grievances over the 1996 attack. For families of the dead, the move offers a formal acknowledgement from the U.S. government, even if no trial is likely soon. For Cuba, the case is expected to deepen tensions with Washington and revive one of the most bitter memories of the post-Cold War era.
The Justice Department said the charges remain pending and that the investigation is ongoing. U.S. officials did not indicate whether additional actions are planned in connection with the case.
Background on the 1996 attack
On Feb. 24, 1996, the two Brothers to the Rescue aircraft were intercepted and destroyed by Cuban military jets. The incident followed months of growing friction, including repeated flights by the exile group near Cuba’s coastline and increasing warnings from Havana. International investigators later concluded the planes were struck in international airspace.
The downing of the aircraft became a defining moment in U.S.-Cuba relations and helped fuel passage of tougher sanctions against Cuba in the United States later that year. It also remains one of the most widely remembered and emotionally charged events in the Cuban exile community’s history.
By unsealing the indictment now, the U.S. is reviving a decades-old case that had long appeared frozen in history. While the practical path to prosecution remains uncertain, the message from federal officials is unmistakable: the government wants the 1996 shootdown formally recorded as a criminal act for which it believes Castro and other officials should be held responsible.