Skip to content

Trump Orders National Guard Deployment To Portland Amid Ongoing Protests And City Turmoil

Trump Orders National Guard Deployment to Portland Amid Ongoing Protests and City Turmoil

President Donald Trump announced plans to deploy the National Guard to Portland, Oregon, citing what he described as a “war ravaged” city plagued by destruction and unrest. This marks a continuation of the president’s efforts to send federal troops and National Guard forces to cities experiencing protests and violence.

In a press briefing on September 5, 2025, Trump said Portland was under consideration after viewing television reports showing ongoing protests outside the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) facility. He called the situation in Portland “unbelievable” and likened living conditions there to “living in hell.” These protests reportedly involve loud disturbances and occasional assaults near the ICE building that local police have been reluctant or unable to control, according to Trump’s comments and the reports that influenced them.

“Portland, it’s like living in hell,” Trump said. “The destruction of the city — we’ll be able to stop that very easily.” He further alleged the presence of “paid terrorists” responsible for smoke bomb attacks and other destructive activities, promising that the National Guard’s arrival would end these disruptions swiftly.

This announcement comes after Trump has already deployed National Guard troops earlier in 2025 to Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., as part of his broader law and order agenda. He has also threatened similar military support for other cities including Baltimore, Chicago, and New Orleans — all cities known for recent protests and often governed by Democratic leadership.

Portland Mayor Keith Wilson responded promptly, stating that the city does not require federal intervention. He emphasized Portland’s commitment to addressing violence and protest activity lawfully and underlined that ongoing demonstrations at the ICE facility will continue as expressions of civic rights.

“We do not need intervention,” Wilson said. “Our police have the freedom and ability to address violence and destruction during protests. Portland remains a proud city dedicated to protecting our community and civil liberties.” He acknowledged the ongoing protests as a focal point but confirmed actions are in place to handle public safety.

The White House has not officially confirmed the National Guard deployment location, but Trump’s statements suggest Portland is high on the list. His decision appears influenced by recent media coverage, particularly from Fox News, which portrayed Portland’s situation as severely deteriorated after years of unrest.

Critics of the deployments argue that sending military forces into U.S. cities risks escalating tensions and undermines local governance. Previous deployments to Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., faced legal challenges and protests from city officials. Supporters, however, say it is a necessary step to restore order amid continuing violence associated with protests.

As Portland prepares for a possible National Guard presence, the city remains divided between efforts to uphold public safety and protect constitutional rights to protest. The coming days will reveal how the administration’s plans impact the local community and whether the government’s approach will reduce violence or inflame further discord.

Reported by [News Agency]

Date: September 28, 2025

Table of Contents